The Chop Tackle
The Chop Tackle is the most efficient tackle practiced today. It’s extremely effective because you utilize your opposition’s momentum in order to bring them to the ground at the quickest rate possible. This tackling method takes away the maximal amount of time for the ball carriers support to reach the contact point, causing a greater likelihood of isolating the attacking player and increasing the opportunity for a turn over.
- Track the ball carrier into the channel you want.
- Continue to close the space, tracking effectively.
- Once you’re within striking distance:
- Sink your hips like a boxer
- Drive your lead leg (same leg same shoulder) into the target
- Power through, around knee height
- Following contact, chase your feet in order to bounce up and over the ball. This puts you in the best position for a turn over opportunity or a quick recovery back into the defensive line.